Sunday, December 15, 2013

Holiday Apocalypse... or Why I Miss Farming Right Now....

Well, coming up on the end of tree season and it can't come soon enough. Working two jobs has really beaten me up a bit, even to the point that if you touch my left shoulder, I'll scream.

Cancelled plans for the weekend over my overt brokenness in favor of spending the evening at the tree lot, trying not to lift anything.

Right now, I really miss farming. I miss the farm I used to work at to the point that I've stopped by and visited a few times recently. They've had their own set of challenges recently with the serious freeze... broken pipes, frozen water lines and the inevitable hauling of buckets of water to their animals. I've had a few of those issues with my own critters and am happy to not be hauling buckets of warm water on top of having an angry rotator cuff.

I really miss the quiet of winter farming though. The time spent weeding seedlings in the high tunnel and biding my time until spring. I miss my former coworkers, especially those who had their ways with quiet sarcasm.

I can't say I miss the outhouse on cold days. Especially since my "real" job had to haul in outhouses for a few days this past week during the worst of the deep freeze. Thanks, City of Bremerton, for not keeping your water mains functional!

Back in October, I could look over the farm and only see death and doom as crops succumbed to the frosts. On a frosty December day, however, you can see all the potential, the ground biding its time until it welcomes new crops in a few months.

I'm itching to do some farm planning. I'm ready to start making things grow again. Soon, but not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment