Thursday, December 26, 2013

Am I quitting farming?

The last three months of 2013 was full of trials and tribulations for me. Layoffs, temp jobs and failed business plans have left me reeling and trying to find balance.

I'm starting to think that I'm setting myself up for failure if I go through with the plans I had started on in October. This is complicated by the fact that my involvement in the tree stand didn't produce a darn thing. That's right. I made nothing for 7 weeks of work. Luckily I had my other temp job that looks like it's going to become permanent.

I've got an offer, but it's an hour and a half commute each way, which I might be able to live with if it weren't for the fact that I'm keeping my graveyard shift job at all costs.

That said, I need to take a few days after the Holiday Apocalypse to get things figured out. I'd really like to get a farm position that's either regular pay or salary plus commission.

Back in September, I was seriously considering never farming again. I thought I had changed my mind in October, but these things are hard sometimes. I have to provide for my family somehow and it seems like all the people who supported me in farming have either bugged out or proven unreliable with a few notable exceptions, hence the far-away job offer.

Focus will come in time. In the meantime, I'm resting like the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment